How Do You Bring Product Best Practices To A New Team?
What works for some product leaders is often so company and culture-specific that it’s hard to see how you can take those best practices and make them work at your own company. So on this episode of Build, Maggie talks to Scott Williamson who is the VP of Product Management at GitLab. Before joining GitLab in 2019, Scott ran product management at SendGrid and CA Technologies, so he’s got first-hand experience developing a product philosophy at one company and then bringing it over to another company. Want to learn how Scott shifted from focusing on features to focusing on problems? Listen to the full episode.
Like this episode? Be sure to leave a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ review and share the pod with your friends! You can connect with Maggie and Scott on Twitter @maggiecrowley @Boulder_ScottW @HYPERGROWTH_Pod.
Scott's product principles are below, and lucky for us, he recommends a book to go along with each one!
- Hiring is job #1 (Recruit Rockstars: https://www.amazon.com/Recruit-Rockstars-Playbook-Winners-Business-ebook/dp/B076J4D891)
- Care personally/challenge directly (Radical Candor: https://www.amazon.com/Radical-Candor-Kim-Scott/dp/B01KTIEFEE/ref=sr_1_1)
- Always be learning (Peak: https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Secrets-New-Science-Expertise-ebook/dp/B011H56MKS/ref=sr_1_1)
- You are not the customer (Inspired: https://www.amazon.com/INSPIRED-Create-Tech-Products-Customers-ebook/dp/B077NRB36N/ref=sr_1_3)
- Start with the problem, not the solution (Product Leadership: https://www.amazon.com/Product-Leadership-Managers-Products-Successful-ebook/dp/B07285Z141/ref=sr_1_2)
- Prioritize ruthlessly (Essentialism: https://www.amazon.com/Essentialism-Disciplined-Pursuit-Less/dp/B00IWYP5NI/ref=sr_1_3)
- Assume you’re wrong (Thinking Fast and Slow: https://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-and-Slow/dp/B005Z9GAJG/ref=sr_1_1)
- Iterate (Lean Startup: https://www.amazon.com/Lean-Startup-Entrepreneurs-Continuous-Innovation/dp/B005MM7HY8/ref=sr_1_1)
- Be data-driven (How to Measure Anything: https://www.amazon.com/How-Measure-Anything-Intangibles-Business/dp/B005O5JR4G/ref=sr_1_2)